James Bradbury and Kelly Levin at WRIInsights.org provide a good summary of the five take home points of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's (IPCC) latest special report on extreme weather and climate change.
1. Extreme weather on the rise
2. Climate disasters are deadly and expensive
3. Warming world = more extreme world
4. Greenhouse gas likely causing some of these trends (italics added)
5. Adaptation and risk management needs to consider differentiated vulnerability and exposure
We need some caution on point 4: causation. IPCC authors give it "medium confidence" that global warming is behind some of the changes in extreme weather. Beware using this for headlines and political slogans at this point.